Everyone needs to squat
Is the Squat currently in your workout routine?
We all squat many times during the day, whether it’s to sit on a chair, pick something up or go to the washroom we all do it. Squatting has been proven to blast away fat and give you the body you are looking for. Since you are using so many major muscles during a squat your body releases anabolic hormones including growth hormones, testosterone and insulin like growth factors. The hormones surge through the bloodstream and encourage growth. The major muscles stimulated are your quads, hamstrings, glutes, adductors, calfs and core. Start out doing a squat with your own body weight and as you progress try the barbell with some weights trying to constantly add a little more resistance or repetitions each time. By simply adding a squat to your routine you will increase muscle from head to toe. So if you are looking to bulk up or slim down the squat is one of the best exercises you can do.
How to squat:
- Take a breath
- Standing upright
- Bend at hips and pretend you are trying to sit back into a chair keeping chest up
- When returning from bottom of squat up exhale
- Start by pushing your hips back as if you are trying to sit on a chair
- Keep chest as high as possible
- Keep head level and eyes straight ahead
- feet shoulder width apart
- If using a barbell squeeze shoulder blades together to bunch traps and create a shelf for bar.
- Try to keep weight on your heals
At the top of the page is a great video from youtube explaining how to do a proper squat.
Written by David Turnbull, Vancouver Personal Trainer.
For pricing and contact info click here
Category: Weight training